Saturday, April 22, 2006

ENTERTAINING: Twin Party Day



Is there anything more fun than planning and giving a party? I seriously think not. Well, maybe a rollercoaster. ooh... maybe I should plan my next party an amusement park. I digress. So this fall/winter, I knew that I would miss having the holidays to look forward to so I better throw together a party.

I am a member of an online message board for moms of twins. We are from all around the world but mostly the States. What does that mean? Well, it means that most of us have not met each other and most have not talked on the phone either with each other.

So, I decided to have a party for the families that live in the Southern California area and one family came all the way from Phoenix. We were supposed to have a picnic and then go to the Aquarium in Long Beach http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/ so I had everything ready for a picnic but then it rained cats and dogs the day and night before so the ground was hopelessly wet. I quickly called and emailed the troops and had them come to our TINY apartment. 900 square feet for 5 families with twins and manly singletons to boot. But it was not raining that day so at least the kids could play on our large deck. I used all the plastic plates and cups that I had already bought for the picnic since they were part of the whole theme. Yes, that is right. THEME. Aquarium theme. Can't have a party for kids without making it fun and frankly it was too much fun not to buy stuff that went with the theme. I basically ordered everything from http://www.orientaltrading.com/ and if you don't know about them then you must check them out. Everything is super cheap - cheap price and cheap materials - but perfect for so many fun parties for adults and kids alike. The party was a complete blast to plan, cook for and hostess. We all had a great time at our apartment and all the kids played so well with each other. One of my boys, Xander, was super jealous when I paid the slightest attention to one of the other kids. But Timmy loved it becuase he sat under our little dining table and ate all the goldfish crackers that other kids dropped. Then after we had enough food and enough of the small space we moved onto the Aquarium of the Pacific and kids really loved that. It is a great place for all ages and I highly suggest it.


For the adults and any un-picky kids I made a full menu.

  • Chicken Breasts rolled and stuffed with Spinach and Ricotta Cheese
  • Teriyaki Marinated Flank Steak
  • Fruit Salad
  • Antipasti Pasta Salad
  • Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
  • Iced Chocolate Brownies

For the kids I found these fabulous lunch boxes on http://www.ebay.com/ and made

  • peanut butter and jelly (organic)
  • turkey and cheese sandwiches.
  • Then I put in those yummy organic fruit leathers from Trader Joes http://www.traderjoes.com/
  • I made little Ziploc bags of Pepperidge Farm Fish which are definitely not organic but it was a party.

I also made up gifts for the kids that I put into the lunch boxes




Reluctant Housewife Entertaining Articles

Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: