Monday, May 22, 2006

EVENT: Save the Internet - Update

Once the threat of the cessation of Internet Neutrality was brought to my attention, I wrote my Senators. So, I got a response from one of my Senators, Barbara Boxer. Her office is very organized and sends out form letters pretty quickly. Hopefully she will keep true to her word and fight against this.

if you are unaware of this issue that affects all of our lives please see A Day Without Food Blogging for more information.

Dear Mrs. True:

Thank you for contacting me regarding network neutrality, which is the principle that consumers should have access to the Internet content and applications of their choice without interference by network operators. I appreciate the opportunity to hear your views on this issue.

As a longtime advocate for network neutrality, I believe that network operators should facilitate, not stifle, Americans' access to the Internet. Consumers will suffer if network operators are allowed to discriminate against their competitors' use of the network by giving certain content referential treatment.

I believe that individuals' ability to define and shape their experiences on the Internet has led to an explosion of creativity that has greatly benefited our economy and our lives. I fear that if network operators abandon the principle of network neutrality, the next generation of Internet innovators will be harmed.

Congress is currently considering a number of bills on this issue. As a member of the Senate Commerce Committee, which has jurisdiction over broadband and telecommunications issues, please be assured that I will continue working to ensure that the Internet remains an engine of growth for commerce and ideas.
Again, thank you for writing to me. Please do not hesitate to contact me again about this or any other issue of concern to you. Barbara BoxerUnited States SenatorPlease
visit my website at http://boxer.senate.gov/

4 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

I love her, and I'm so glad she is working against it. In Utah our "representatives" are mostly not so enlightened.

G said...

Yes, I really like her too. My husband can't stand her but he is a Republican. She can be loud and push which some peple find off putting but top senators, especially, need to be like that to get anything through to this group.

chocoadik said...

whoa! you actually have internet filtering by your providers??? that is so low! I really hope your senator will push for internet neutrality as one of her priorities. I really think that the internet is so powerful that we must not let anybody suppress it.

G said...

Scary isn't it? Capitalism at its worst