Tuesday, May 02, 2006

RECIPE: Lavender Lemon Chicken


Lavender2
Originally uploaded by gaztrue.


I wrote this recipe a few years ago when I had Gabriella’s Gastronomy on Splendid Palate. This would be a perfect main dish for the amateur dad or kids to make for Mom’s day dinner.

Lavender Lemon Chicken


1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1-2 teaspoons dried lavender
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 large onion
1 (4-7 lb) chicken, whole
1/4 cup dry vermouth
1/2 cup chicken stock
1-2 tablespoon flour


In a small bowl or mortar and pestle coarsely crush lavender and thyme. Then stir together with butter, zest, salt and pepper until well combined. Spoon mixture onto a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a 4-inch log. Chill butter log until firm, at least 30 minutes, and up to 3 days.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Slice herb butter and reserve 2 tablespoons for sauce. Slide hand under skin of chicken breast to loosen skin from meat. Insert about 3/4's of the butter under the skin and spread the rest over the outside of chicken. Truss chicken. Place the chicken in a flameproof roasting pan. Slice the onion into large pieces and scatter around the chicken. Roast bird in middle of oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of a thigh (be careful not to touch bone) registers 170° to 175°F. It will take roughly 55-65 minutes for a four pound chicken and 8 minutes more per every pound over that.

Lift chicken and tilt, emptying any juices from cavity into roasting pan. Remove the chicken to a platter, cover loosely with foil. Sauce: Add vermouth to pan. Place pan over high heat; bring vermouth to boil, scraping up any browned bits and onions. Strain the mixture into cup with pan juices. Spoon fat off and pour back into the pan. Add reserved 2 tablespoons herb butter and bring to a simmer - or melt butter before adding to pan. When butter has completely melted,add flour and whisk until smooth. Serve sauce with chicken.

Blog Food Events
Reluctant Housewife Recipes
Reluctant Housewife Motherhood Articles
Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gabriella, I never thought to make a savory dish with lavendar! I'm curious about the scent -- I always thought lavendar is a bit overpowering (probably because I overuse it) -- how does it hold up in this dish? Special occasion coming up; I think I'll print this and give it to the husband.

G said...

Cath, You should definitely try it. Lavender is definitely something that can be overused. It is sort of like sage in that way - it can become mediciney if you use too much. But, in these savory dishes the lavender does not release its flavor as much as it does say if you steeped it in milk for a dessert dish. Also, there are so many other flavors in this dish that it melds nicely in. So you can taste it for sure but you don't feel like you are biting into perfumed chicken.

I have created quite a few dishes with lavender and I personally really like this.

Just make sure you are using an organic lavender and not lavender you buy at a craft store because I can only imagine the chemicals that are in that kind.

Let me know anytime if you have any questions or any feedback. Good or bad is always appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Gabriella, can't wait to try. Just picked up some organic lavendar for the recipe. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again!

Alanna Kellogg said...

Hi Gabriella, I've been doing lavendar in savory dishes too. This is an "all lavendar" meal I developed ... you might like it! The potatoes are especially dreamy ...

G said...

Ooh. Fabulous!! I also do a steak but quite different from yours. I will bookmark this and try yours.

I love the potato recipe too!

I have made a creme caramel with lavender. My husband prefers creme brulee so I will have to make yours!
Thanks a million for posting.

Anonymous said...

I love lavender and I can just imagine how this would smell and taste. Thanks!