Monday, May 08, 2006

MOTHERHOOD: Study-Stay-at-home moms deserve high pay

Study: Stay-at-home moms deserve high pay
Mothers' work seen valued at over $130,000 a year
Reuters
Updated: 1:03 p.m. ET May 2, 2005
"NEW YORK - The old adage that “a mother's work is never done” remains as true now as ever. Today's stay-at-home moms are learning what their predecessors always knew — they'd be making a lot of money doing their job outside the home. Just in time for Mother's Day, an informal study conducted by Web site Salary.com shows that stay-at-home moms would earn an average of $131,471 annually, including overtime, if they received a paycheck. Article Continues....

“The importance of this calculation or this estimate is just calling attention to the fact that being a stay-at-home mom is not a cop out, it's not the woman's way out of the work force and it's not a job of no value,” said Bill Coleman, senior vice president of compensation at Salary.com." Article Continues. . .

Well, would someone like to pay me? Because I could sure use the money. And no, not just to buy shoes.

I am posting this article because, yes, it is interesting but it sort of corresponds with my early Daily Report about feeling stressed out because of money but also because I am a new person from what I was a fledgling business woman in New York City. Yes, there was satisfaction from a job well done after lots of hardwork. But, let's face it, the paycheck helped. And what helped the ego even more, were raises. One year I worked so hard that I actually got about 4 raises and three new job titles. I was also pretty good at what I was doing too so that helped tremendously. So now with motherhood and wifehood, the raises I get or give myself have to come mostly from me and from within my spirit. Let me tell you, as a girl/woman, who has always struggled very hard with low self-esteem, this is a very daunting exercise. But, even with all my self-doubt, I have never once thought the job was a "cop out". So Bill Coleman does not have to worry about that.

Reluctant Housewife Motherhood Articles
Technorati Tags:, , , , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your twins will one day love your blog. The history your are recording is priceless.

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

G said...

Thank for liking my site. However, there are plenty of sites and blogs that are far from rubbish.